Wednesday, January 30, 2013

THE BLOODY FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION



Jan-30-2013

Lots of discussions are already going live on “Vishwaroopam”, and the ban it had to face due to the allegedly anti-Islamic content the film has got in it,  but I felt that, I should express my feeling too…because, this is my Bloody Freedom of Expression!

First shocker came when I read this: ( courtesy Wikipedia)

Title naming
In June 2012, the producers of the film ran into conflict with the Hindu Makkal Katchi who demanded that title be changed. They claimed that Viswaroopam was a Sanskrit word rather than a Tamil word, and argued that Kamal Haasan was being anti-Tamil, by naming the film in another language. The same political party had earlier protested against a song in Haasan's Manmadhan Ambu (2010), following which it was removed from the film.

The second, more obvious shocker was, when I read this:

The initial ban on the movie in Tamilnadu was lifted by Madras High Court ,but later uphold the ban on January 30,2013.


I saw Mahesh Bhat speaking about this controversy  earlier this day on a national debate. I would like to echo the same in my own words as below:

“Next time when I take a sheet of paper and pen to write something, I will be thinking about every Tom, Dick and Harry out there, who is going to protest against every scene in my movie. I would be concerned about the financial,political and social ramifications of that, and would be pulled back unknowingly by my own self in my creative disposal. That would be the end of my creativity.”

Lets see this case. Who is this Hindu Makkal Katchi to ask Kamal Hassan to change the name of this movie, just because the root of the movie title is in Sanskrit? I feel that the name “Hindu Makkal Katchi” is too Old-fashioned  and should be changed to something like—“ Yo! Yo! Tamil”. Would they change that name, just because I am feeling it that way?

I have got a news that, the next Rajani movie is going to be anti-Jewish. Would you believe that and go ahead with a protest for banning the movie, if you are Jewish?
No, that would be extremely stupid from your side.
Please don’t judge a movie before you watch it.

Despite the fragmented release and controversies, Vishwaroopam garnered highly positive reviews from critics, most of which had downplayed claims of the film being anti-Islamist / anti Muslim.

This is a free country, and I have my freedom of Expression!


No comments:

Post a Comment